What To Know About A Tooth Extraction
At Rivercrest Family Dental, we are passionate about helping our patients save their natural teeth. Unfortunately, there are certain instances when that is not possible, and we may recommend a tooth extraction. An extraction may be needed for a number of reasons, such as severe decay, complications from gum disease, trauma to the mouth, complications with wisdom teeth, or even to help prepare the mouth before orthodontic treatment. A tooth extraction is when the entire tooth structure, including the root, is fully removed.
Care Following an Extraction
We will always provide our patients with thorough pre-treatment care instructions and tell them what to expect after treatment. Failure to follow our pre-treatment instructions may mean that we are unable to perform the treatment as expected. Failure to follow after-treatment instructions can lead to serious complications. It is important to remember that each patient will have a different experience, and results will vary after treatment. It is best to follow the cues from your body and not push yourself to eat or do something your mouth is not ready for. It is extremely important not to exercise or eat certain foods before you are ready. Following an extraction, we recommend:
- Relaxing for at least 24 hours after the procedure and limiting activity for the next few days.
- Eating soft foods such as soup, yogurt, scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, Jell-O, and pudding, being sure to avoid hard, crunchy, and chewy foods.
- Avoiding drinking through a straw for 24 hours.
- Not smoking, as the sucking motion could disrupt the healing process.
- Continuing to clean your teeth as usual, only being careful to avoid the extraction area
We are always here to answer any questions or concerns you may have before and after you receive treatment. If you have any concerns or feel that something may be wrong, it is important to contact our office as soon as possible. If you have any questions or have not recently been to see us for a hygiene visit and dental exam, please contact our office located in New Braunfels, TX to schedule your next appointment. Our friendly and knowledgeable staff is here to help you with anything you need!